One of the most painful oral health abnormalities are impacted wisdom teeth. However, once you understand the signs of this specific condition, you may be able to receive adequate dental care before it worsens. Even when you go in for a regular dental checkup and have an x-ray taken, your dentist can recommend wisdom teeth removal early before any pain occurs.
The following are the warning signs of impacted wisdom teeth:
- Swollen, red, tender or bleeding gums
- Swelling around the jaw
- Swollen glands
- Bad breath
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Ear aches
Once wisdom teeth become impacted, they can result in crowding in the mouth, promoting irregular development of the adjacent teeth. Impacted wisdom teeth can also lead to infection in the surrounding areas due to gum penetration. Whether it’s partially impacted or completely impacted, complications such as mild pain or bleeding gums can occur at the early stages.
If left untreated, the following symptoms can develop into these types of hazards:
- Teeth damage – Impacted wisdom teeth can push on the second molars, resulting in infection or requiring use orthodontic devices.
- Tooth decay and gum disease – Due to being vulnerable to infection, impacted wisdom teeth can be difficult to clean, causing bacteria to develop between the teeth and gums
- Cyst development – Since wisdom teeth grow in a sac that is found within the jaw, when the sac is filled with fluid, a painful cyst can develop which can cause nerve damage.
If you are experiencing any one of these symptoms, contact Austell Dental Associates and schedule your appointment today.