Austell Periodontal Care
Your Oral Health Is Our First Priority
Periodontics is a branch of dentistry involving the structures that surround and support the teeth, for example, your gums. One of the most common conditions our dentists treat is periodontal disease (gum disease), which involves he bleeding or inflammation of the gums. If left untreated, it may result in loss of teeth and greater infection. At our Austell office, we utilize our advanced technology and techniques to provide an effective solution. During your initial appointment, our dentists will examine your teeth, gums, and gingival pockets to determine any issues or problem areas that need treatment.
If you’re interested in our periodontal care treatments, dial (770) 467-3888 today!
Types of Periodontal Disease
Our office offers a range of dental care treatments designed to treat gum disease. Some forms of the disease are mild, but in serious cases, it can lead to major damage to the tooth structure.
The two most common types of periodontal disease are:
- Gingivitis – Gingivitis is the mildest form and first stage of periodontal disease. It’s caused by plaque build-up; and because plaque contains extremely harmful bacteria, it can infect the gums drastically. Common signs of gingivitis may include gum tenderness, inflammation, and bleeding during brushing or flossing. We may be able to combat gingivitis with a combination of routine office check-up and cleanings, and at-home oral care.
- Periodontitis – It’s common to experience soft tissue damage and bone recession during the final stages of gum disease. If the infection becomes significant enough, your teeth can get severely infected. Periodontitis is a more serious type of gum disease that affects the entire tissue that supports the tooth, bone, and gums. It causes your gums to detach from the teeth, which develops spaces between them. When plaque gets in these spaces, it can destroy the ligament supporting the tooth and, in serious cases, may lose the tooth altogether. Our dentists will make sure to examine your mouth thoroughly to determine which treatment is best suited for you.
What Are the Causes of Periodontal Disease?
Potential causes of periodontal disease include:
- Plaque build up
- Certain conditions, such as diabetes
- Hormonal changes
- Poor oral hygiene
What Are the Benefits of Periodontal Care?
Comprehensive periodontal care can prevent tooth loss, reduce chances of other oral infections, and protect your overall gingival health.
Potential benefits of periodontal care include:
- Heals gingival pockets
- Protects and strengthens jawbone and teeth density
- Eliminates bacteria from the gums
- Resolves bad breath issues related to disease
- Reduces gum pain and bleeding
How Can I Prevent Periodontal Disease?
Examples of periodontal care include:
- Visiting your dentist at least once a year
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Ensuring that your toothbrush has soft bristles
- Using a natural mouthwash
Trust Our Austell Dental Professionals
Although the treatment of periodontics sounds a bit intimidating, you can count on our reliable team of reliable professionals to get your teeth back to good health. Gum disease can pose many threats to your oral and overall health, so if diagnosed, it’s better to begin treatment as early as possible.
For more information about our periodontal care or to schedule an appointment, call us at (770) 467-3888 today!