Brushing and flossing your teeth twice a day, as well as visiting your dentist at least twice a year for checkups and cleanings, are all great ways to keep your oral health in amazing shape. However, did you know that chewing sugar-free gum can also help you keep your smile looking white and healthy?
Based on scientific studies, chewing sugar-free gum in between meals can reduce the possibility of obtaining several oral health-related problems. Our Austell dentist recommends purchasing gums with the “American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance” on them, since they use sweeteners that don’t cause tooth decay.
The following are several benefits of sugar-free gum:
- Prevents cavities from forming. The ADA claims that chewing sugarless gum for up to 20 minutes after a meal can help you avoid getting tooth decay.
- Produces more saliva. Saliva is comprised of calcium and phosphate, which helps strengthen the tooth enamel. Increased saliva production results optimal food particle removal and acid neutralization.
- Eliminates bacteria. Sugar-free gum contains xylitol, a natural ingredient found in fruits and vegetables that is proven to decrease oral bacteria. In a matter of 10 minutes, it can terminate 100 million bacteria.
- Helps with digestion. Chewing sugar-free gum can decrease acid reflux.
- Saves you money. When you chew sugarless gum, in addition to your regular oral health regiment, you keeping you smile in great shape and reducing the amount of times of have to visit the dentist for issues.
If you need to get your teeth cleaned, contact Austell Dental Associates and schedule an appointment with our experienced dentist today!