Whether it’s candy or soda, our Austell dentist understands how much sugar can damage your teeth. But what about foods that can help you maintain good oral health?
The following are five essential foods which can help keep your oral and personal health in check:
- Dairy – Dairy products like yogurt and cheese have been proven to encourage optimal oral health. Cheese is known to raise the pH of your mouth and lower your risk of cavities. Calcium and protein both help strengthen tooth enamel. While yogurt possesses the same minerals, they also have probiotics which help your gums by crowding out other bacteria which cause tooth decay and other problems.
- Celery – Although celery may be bland and great when paired with peanut butter or ranch dip, it acts as an alternative toothbrush since it scrapes leftover food practices and bacteria away from your teeth. In addition, it is a great source of vitamin A and C.
- Carrots – Crunchy and packed with nutrients, such as fiber and vitamin A, eating a handful of carrots can increase production of saliva that helps reduce the risk of cavities.
- Apples – While an apple a day may keep your doctor away, it can also keep your dentist away. Apples have high fiber and water content, which increases saliva production. The fiber helps stimulate your gums.
- Almonds – A good source of calcium and protein, as well as low in sugar.
Schedule an appointment with our experienced dentist at Austell Dental Associates today.